Persuasions #9, 1987 Page 45
JANE AUSTEN SOCIETY OF
FIRST ANNUAL LITERARY COMPETITION
1988 Topic: Discuss what can be learned from the dialogues between Emma and Harriet in the novel Emma.
FIRST PRIZE: $750*
RUNNERS-UP: 3 PRIZES OF $250 EACH
* The judges reserve the right not to award first prize if no superior essay is submitted.
1. The original, personal essay should offer insight into Jane Austen’s artistry, ideas, and values and should not be primarily a research paper.
2. The essay should be 1,500 to 2,000 words and must be typed (double-spaced). The title page should include the student’s name, address, phone number, college or university, and year in school.
3. Participation is limited to undergraduate students enrolled full- or part-time in a college or university.
4. Essays must be postmarked by March 29, 1988 (Emma was completed on that date in 1815). The contest judges will make their final decisions by August 1, 1988. Winners will be announced in October 1988 at the Annual General Meeting of the Jane Austen Society of North America. Entries will not be returned.
5. Entries should be sent to: Mary Gaither Marshall
JASNA Annual Literary Competition