Tours of England
Visit "Jane Austen Country" on a memorable tour tailored for JASNA members.
An English tour specialist selected by JASNA provides exclusive tours available only to our members. Participants visit iconic Austen sites in England and enjoy entrée to private homes and events not open to the public. A typical tour includes:
- St. Nicholas Church in Steventon, her birthplace
- Jane Austen’s House Museum in Chawton, her final home
- Winchester Cathedral and Austen’s grave
- Bath, the Georgian city where Austen lived for 5 years
- Austen family homes, including Chawton Great House (now Chawton House Library)
- Period estates used in film adaptions
- Historic places mentioned in Austen’s novels, such as Lyme Regis
- Attendance at the Annual General Meeting of the Jane Austen Society (JAS) of the U.K. and opportunities to meet with JAS members for collegial discussions, when scheduling allows.
Most Recent Tour
"Seeking Adventures Abroad: 200 Years of Northanger Abbey"
and Optional Tour Extension
"Seeking More Adventures Abroad: Irish Connections"
Main Tour: July 11-20, 2019
Tour Extension: July 20-24, 2019
Tour participants must be JASNA members. To join, visit our Membership page.
Although Northanger Abbey was published in late 1817, JASNA celebrated the 200th anniversary of the novel this year with the tour "Seeking Adventures Abroad: 200 Years of Northanger Abbey."
Members spent nine days immersed in Jane Austen's England, visiting the towns and sites most associated with her life: Steventon, Chawton, Bath, Winchester, Lyme Regis, and Adlestrop. The itinerary also featured locations that figured prominently in the novel, including Blaise Castle and Petty France.
Optional Tour Extension
The extension tour to Ireland focused on locations used in the 2007 adaptation of Northanger Abbey and the film Becoming Jane, as well as sites that played an important role in the life of Tom Lefroy. Rounding out the tour were visits to Blarney Castle, Lismore Castle, Dublin Castle, and Trinity College.
See the 2019 Tour Itinerary pages for details.
"If adventures will not befall a young lady in her own village, she must seek them abroad"
JASNA members get a private tour of Chawton House Library.
• Fingerpost at Chawton © Unisouth (CC BY-SA 3.0 license)
• Blaise Castle (Henry Repton)
• JASNA tour group at Chawton House (Chawton House)