Pride and Prejudice Celebration Tours
Spring Tour: April 14–25, 2023
A Pathfinders Tour Sponsored by JASNA
- Friday, April 14: Arrive in London's Heathrow Airport. (Please aim for a morning arrival if possible.) A small group taxi transfer to your hotel in Windsor is included. Pre-tour overnights can be arranged, either in central London or in the Windsor hotel. This afternoon, meet your guide Marian Bacon for a tour of Windsor Castle. Dinner in the hotel restaurant. (A full Welcome Dinner will be held the next evening.) D
- Saturday, April 15: Depart for the Midlands and visit the small cathedral city of Lichfield, birthplace of Samuel Johnson. Continue to Hamstall Ridware to visit the church of Jane Austen's cousin, the Rev. Edward Cooper, whom she visited for several weeks in the summer of 1806. Continue on to the scenic Peak District and your hotel in Buxton. Tour welcome dinner this evening. B, D
Chatsworth House, Derbyshire
- Sunday, April 16: Tour the town of Bakewell and other Derbyshire locations, including Chatsworth House and Gardens, the great house used as Pemberley in the 2005 Pride and Prejudice film. In the afternoon, enjoy tea with members of the Midlands branch of the UK Jane Austen Society. B, T
- Monday, April 17: Travel through the Peak District countryside to Lyme Park, the great house used as the exterior of Pemberley in the 1995 adaptation of Pride and Prejudice. We'll also visit the town of Longnor, which stood in for the location of the Lambton Inn in the 1995 miniseries. B
Chapel Gallery with Red Cushions, Stoneleigh Abbey
- Tuesday, April 18: Travel south to Stoneleigh Abbey in Warwickshire, the Leigh family estate Jane visited with her mother in 1806, thought by many to have been an inspiration for Sotherton Court in Mansfield Park. Enjoy a special guided tour and lunch, then continue to Bath via Adlestrop, the home of a branch of the Leigh family. B, L, D
- Wednesday, April 19: Tour the city of Bath this morning, including locations where Jane Austen and her family lived and places she visited. Entrance to St Swithins Church and the Assembly Rooms (if open). This afternoon and evening is at leisure in Bath; perhaps visit the Abbey or the Roman Baths, or enjoy tea at the Pump Room (advance booking essential). B
Thursday, April 20: In the morning, visit the village of Lacock, which stood in for Meryton (BBC 1995 Pride and Prejudice) and Highbury (BBC 1996 Emma), as well as Lacock Abbey. Return to Bath for an afternoon of independent sightseeing and shopping; perhaps visit Bath Abbey or the Roman Baths. Enjoy an evening supper and Austen-themed entertainment. B, D
Pump Room, Bath
- Friday, April 21: We leave Bath for the county of Dorset and the small town of Lyme Regis. Stroll on the Cobb and listen to a reading from Persuasion recounting Louisa’s "accident’" on the harbor wall. For those are interested (and if time permits), there may be an opportunity to visit the Philpot Museum, famous for the fossil discoveries by Mary Anning. From Bath we continue to Winchester to check in to the hotel for a four-night stay. B, D
The Cobb, Lyme Regis
- Saturday, April 22: Take part in a brief service and flower ceremony at Jane Austen's grave in Winchester Cathedral, then visit the Hampshire Cultural Trust for a talk by Louise West, former curator of Jane Austen’s House. The remainder of the day will be at your leisure in Winchester. B
Sunday, April 23: Enjoy a morning of independent sightseeing and shopping in Winchester. In the afternoon, travel to Chawton village for a tour of Chawton House and lunch, followed by a visit to Jane Austen’s House. B, L
Jane Austen's Writing Desk,
Jane Austen's House
- Monday, April 24: Travel to Steventon this morning to visit St. Nicholas Church, where Jane’s father was rector, and meet with parishioners. Then continue north for a visit to Basildon Park, the filming location for Netherfield Park in the 2005 version of Pride & Prejudice. Return to Winchester for a Farewell Dinner in a local restaurant. B, D
- Tuesday, April 25: Transfers to Heathrow Airport will be provided today for return flights. Arrangements for an extension stay (pre- or post-tour) in London can be made. B
To register, email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your name, mailing address, email address, and phone number.
- Itinerary tentative as of November 2022.
- Included in Tour:
- Eleven nights' accommodation in first-class hotels, all breakfasts (B), six dinners (D), two lunches (L), one tea (T).
- All sightseeing and literary inclusions as mentioned, transportation by deluxe air-conditioned coach, guided by Marian Bacon.
- Tips and taxes for included services at rates in application at date of preparation, porterage of one suitcase per person.
- Not Included in Tour: Air fares, meals, and visits not listed.
• Chatsworth House © Lauraleen O'Connor
• All other photos © Jane Austen Society of North America