Jane Austen Book Box Program
Our Jane Austen Book Box Program is designed to support schools, libraries, and community groups that serve children in grades K-12 by introducing the genius of Jane Austen to those unfamiliar with her novels.
Using age-appropriate versions of her books, our goal is to help foster an appreciation of Austen's work among new generations and diverse readers.
We invite school, library, and community programs that serve children in elementary school, middle-school, or high-school to apply for a Jane Austen Book Box tailored to your students' needs. If your application is approved, you'll be able to order your choice of books—free of charge—to use in a program of your own design. (Please note that this is not a book subscription program; only one Jane Austen Book Box is awarded per application.)
Available titles range from Austen's classic novels (including annotated editions and Spanish translations), to modern-day retellings, graphic novels, children's adaptations, and more. We only require that you 1) give the books to the students to keep for their personal libraries and future reading enjoyment and 2) submit a follow-up report summarizing the results of your program/project.
Download our Jane Austen Book Box brochure or a flyer to share information about the program with others in your organization or community.
Jane Austen Book Boxes are available for school, library, and community programs in the U.S. and Canada that serve children in grades K-12 by introducing Austen to those unfamiliar with her work. Book Boxes are not available to individuals or for-profit organizations, nor are the books intended for resale.
How the Program Works
- Download the Book Box Application Form (Word document).
- Review the books available through the program, decide which title(s) you would like to receive and how many, and add that information to the application form. You may request multiple copies of one book or a mix of several titles. Email the completed application to JABookBox@jasna.org.
- Please apply at least six weeks in advance of when you would like the books to arrive. The availability of a particular book and shipping times may vary.
After Approval, Order the Book Box
- JASNA's Book Box Committee will review applications as they arrive. If your application is approved, you will receive a coupon code that will allow you to place your order on the Book Box page of the Jane Austen Books website. The cost of the books will be deducted in the checkout process.
- Book Boxes are awarded on a first-come, first-served basis to qualified organizations and institutions until our funding for the year has been spent.
- Recipients of a Jane Austen Book Box are required to submit a report on the outcome of the project or program. Please download and complete this Report Form (Word document), and email it to JABookBox@jasna.org.
Contact JASNA's Jane Austen Book Box Committee at JABookBox@jasna.org.